The science and fun behind a winter wonderland
A snowy extravaganza is blowing into town! From now through Jan. 30, 2020, the first floor of Sci-Port Discovery Center will be converted into a winter wonderland. For 10 weeks, this winter-themed interactive exhibit named will showcase the wonders and science of snow for locals of all ages.
Sno-Port: The Science and Wonder of Snowflakes will be a timed experience, entertaining roughly 60 people every 1.5 hours. While there won’t be actual snow involved, there will be multiple snow-themed, hands-on exhibits and interactive games such as:
• Blizzard Tunnel: Become a snowflake as you enter the exhibit.
• Make A Flake: Make a snowflake as individual as you are to hang in the ceiling with hundreds of other snowflakes.
• Ice Fishing: Grab a pole and go fishing in this ice pond. See virtual reality fish as they swim underneath the ice surface.
• Snow Chair Lift: How high can you pump up your chair lift experience?
• Snowball Castle: Toss a “snowball” into the windows of the snow castle to hear the bells.
• There’s No Place Like Igloo: Hang out in a partially enclosed igloo while you create your own igloo with “ice” blocks or make igloos out of white Legos – complete with white bean bags to sit and “chill” in.
• Snowglobe Discovery: Discover the inner workings of a snow globe as you crawl underneath it and look up into the globe.
• The Red River Rocket Sled: Feel the excitement and take-off with the sensation of the cool wind on your face as you trek your way through a virtual reality blizzard in downtown Shreveport and Bossier City inside the Space Dome Planetarium.
Each activity is geared to demonstrate various fields of science, such as biology, physics, geoscience, architecture, engineering, computer science, chemistry and mathematics, in an effort to educate children through the fun of snow.
In addition to the exhibits, Sci-Port Discovery Center is partnering with other local businesses to set up temporary shops during the month of December. A pop-up Learning Express Gift Store will be located adjacent to Sno-Port and will offer a plethora of toys and games – all snow-related, of course!
Not only that, but Southern University in Shreveport’s new venture, the MS KICK culinary program (Milam Street Kitchen Incubator and Community Kitchen) will be providing a pop-up restaurant featuring four local culinary professionals. A different chef will be featured each week during the month of December during the Thursday-Sunday Sci-Port hours.
“Southern University at Shreveport is excited to partner with Sci-Port for the Sno- Port initiative,” Chancellor Dr. Rodney Ellis said in a recent press release. “This program will give the businesses that are a part of MS KICK program the opportunity to gain exposure from a variety of potential clients. It also expands the reach of the university in the community.”
Sci-Port and Sno-Port guests will be able to purchase culinary creations from the following:
• Week 1: Keidra’s Kitchen featuring southern-style cuisine for $8-$10.
• Week 2: Sho’nuff Soul Food & Catering featuring Cajun and American soul food for $5-$10.
• Week 3: Vegans on the Run featuring vegan comfort food for $5-$10.
• Week 4: Quisine Queen featuring Southern & Cajun comfort food for $5-$10.
A new retail storefront called Colossal Cove will also be open on the first floor of Sci-Port. This Colossal Bot exhibit, presented by Ark-La-Tex 3D Technology co-founders Mark Holstrum and Matt Hopper, features 3D-printed items that will give guests a glimpse of what they can create. Bricks and Bots, a Lego gift shop featuring unique Lego-themed products, will also be providing special winterthemed fun in the form of “make and take” projects. There’s truly something for everyone at Sno-Port!
• Sci-Port Members – All ages over 1: $5
• Non-Members for Sno-Port only: Adults: $12 Children ages 1-12: $5 Under 1 year: Free
• Group tickets: Non-Members – Combo ticket (Science Center, PoP and Sno-Port): Adults: $20 Children ages 1-12: $15 Under 1 year: Free
• Schools or Groups with 10 or more: Sno-Port only: Students: $3 Adults: $10 * Combo ticket (Science Center, PoP and Sno-Port): Students: $13; Adults: $15 * *One teacher/10 students up to a maximum of 12 teachers/school are free.
• Sno-Port Hours: Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday-Saturday: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday: 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday and Tuesday: Closed Tickets are available on-line via sci-port.org or snoport.com. For more information, visit www.sci-port.org or find them on Facebook at facebook.com/sciport/