Summer Boom or Bust Byway Lineup
Back-roads, attractions and summer activities
The Shreveport-Bossier Convention and Tourist Bureau released an all-new digital Boom or Bust Byway itinerary with outdoor recreation, back-road eats, must-see attractions and more summer activities along the rural areas of Caddo and Bossier parishes. The summer road trip itinerary features more than five small towns with more than 20 stops along the route, giving road trippers a full day of fun to explore in Shreveport-Bossier’s backyard.
The Boom or Bust Byway is the ultimate road trip for young explorers, families, retirees and international visitors seeking an off-the-beaten-path adventure through north Louisiana. The full Boom or Bust Byway tour is a 136-mile route across four parishes. Caddo and Bossier parishes are shown on the map. For a GPS-navigated tour of the full byway, road trippers can download the Boom or Bust Byway app from Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
Road trippers can jump on the byway from any direction to experience Southern flavors, parks and lakes, historical museums, fishing holes, farm-fresh experiences and more near Shreveport-Bossier. Some stops along the byway include:
• Saige Acres Flower Farm, located at 10200 Blanchard Furrh Road in Mooringsport, where you can pick fresh flowers or purchase flower arrangements.
• Main Street Restaurant, located at 12807 Main St. in Gilliam, where you can dine in to enjoy thick, juicy burgers and more country cooking. Patio seating is available.
• Ryan Farms Produce, located at 8172 Dixie Shreveport Road along LA Highway 3049 North, where you can purchase summer crops such as watermelon, sweet corn, cantaloupes and more.
• Cypress Black Bayou Recreation and Water Conservation, located at 135 Cypress Park Drive in Benton, where you can settle in the middle of their outdoor oasis next to Cypress Lake. Cabins and RV rentals are available for overnight stays, and the Cypress Zoo is now open.
• Dixie Lavender Farm will reopen for u-pick opportunities in early June.
• Sunflower Trail and Festival in Gilliam, scheduled for Saturday, June 19. Sunflowers are typically in full bloom from mid-June through early July.
• Holly Hill Farm Equestrian Center, located at 1296 Old Plain Dealing Road in Benton, where visitors can schedule private horseback-riding sessions or watch professional equestrians perform during tournaments.
• Skydive Louisiana, located at Gilliam Airport Road in Gilliam, where visitors can take on the thrill of skydiving with jumping experts.
Earlier this year, the Boom or Bust Byway received National Scenic Byway status. Named after its fluctuation in economic value due to ups and downs of industries of oil, lumber and agriculture, the route’s historical riches are what led to its new designation status.
For more information about what the Boom or Bust Byway has to offer, visit www.BoomOrBustByway.com or download the Boom or Bust Byway brochure.